Saturday, June 12, 2010

Yellow Flower

Days such as this one


rainy


cold


windy


keep me inside and I have had no choice but to think.




Being that I can't really get out and hike or soak up sun, I have been trapped inside with my niece Camryn and my wonderful mother.


We put curlers in Cam's hair while she used her oh so fascinating, new, electric vibrating toothbrush. She and I have been pals today and although my job and most of my life is spent with 3 year old children, my time today with this busy, soon to be two year old, has been different.




The small and simple things are what make ME happy.




Spending time with her today and the rain has led my thoughts back to 2 months ago. Sitting at an orphanage in Ecuador and watching a beautiful girl find complete joy in a bright yellow flower.


A small thing? Yes


A simple thing? You betcha




I have complete confidence in the notion that I will never forget that day looking at Laurita and her precious flower. Her happiness, smile, purity, and complete divinity amoungst complete chaos has changed my perspective on life. A child crippled by neglect, legs that don't work, no family, and simply a not so ideal life has found joy. I believe it is because in a life filled with so little she has no choice but to be happy with the small, insignificant things. I was humbled in that moment.





I credit the simple joy I have felt today with Camryn to that warm day with Laura and a yellow flower.




Thank you Laurita.

2 comments:

  1. I'm crying now. I love every second of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are going to be quite a "catch" to someone someday. You are wise beyond your years.

    ReplyDelete